Saturday, September 4, 2010

Tomato #165

Cadmium Lemon, Quinacridone Red, Prussian Blue and Permalba White

I painted this on a Cadmium Red ground. This one started out to be very dramatic-I might should have stopped there, but I didn't and my end result is a much softer, gauzy representation. In fact almost all of my more recent tomatoes are "gauzy", much softer edges. Warm light and cool darks are visible here. I was reading about color harmony in the book ALLA PRIMA by Richard Schmid and I was trying to apply some of the principles here; cool lights-warm darks and vice versa-did it work? I can tell more when this one dries. I am going to try to make this a series of three, but I am wondering about doing this with Prussian Blue-it is so strong. I did successfully mute it here. I love using Q. Red and C. Lemon-such juicy color.

Painted September 4, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment