Sunday, September 12, 2010

Yes We have No Tomatoes

The last two days I have been painting furiously to finish my entry in the juried show to be held at the Greater Loveland Historical Society beginning September 18, 2010. The show entitled "Images of the Past, Visions of Today" is based on selected images of Nancy Ford Cones (1869-1962); an internationally recognized photographer. The image I chose is "Stolen Porridge". I am posting the original image and my painting "Margaret and Mabel".
When I saw the prospectus and photographs, I was excited and knew I wanted to participate. I lived in Loveland until I was 12 years old and having taken piano from Margaret Cones, daughter of Nancy  Ford Cones, I immediately felt connected. Miss Cones was quite the proper lady and it amuses me to picture her as the young girl in this image. I recently lost my sweet kitty Mabel to feline leukemia, so in choosing this image I am able to honor them and their memory. I chose to paint this with little alteration. I am touched by its beauty and simplicity. The lighting is strong and dramatic, reminiscent of the Dutch masters, inspiring me to recreate it in that manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment